Survey Technician (Engineering Technician)Full Time
This position performs primarily field surveying duties in support of Public Works and other County Departments. Assignments include construction staking, boundary surveys, control surveys, topographic surveys, differential leveling, records research, drafting of survey maps, and processing and filing of surveying records. Responsibilities include collecting field data and analyzing it AutoCAD, performing survey related calculations utilizing survey specific software, maintaining proper adjustment of equipment, interpreting construction plans and inputting digital construction staking data, supporting the County-wide monument preservation program, and composing field notes.
An Associate of Science Degree in Geomatics, Survey Technology, or a closely related field and two years of experience in a surveying position equivalent to Assistant Engineering Technician, Survey is preferred. A Bachelor’s Degree in Surveying, Geomatics, or related field may be substituted for experience. All combinations of education and/or experience will be reviewed. The successful applicant may be required to provide official transcripts at the time of hire.
The ideal candidate will have the following strengths:
· Field experience conducting control, boundary, topographic, mapping, and construction staking surveys particularly for public works projects.
· Proficiency with total stations, GPS, digital and automatic levels, and data collectors.
· Proficiency with personal computers and software applications including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, AutoCAD Civil 3D, Carlson Survey, and Trimble Business Center.
· Knowledge of survey measurement adjustment methods.
· Experience with AutoCAD and ability to create survey maps.
· Ability to create stakeout data from digital or hard copy road construction plans.
· Experience in organizing survey records for long-term indexing.
· Knowledge of the fundamentals of GIS and experience in its use for survey specific applications.
· Experience reviewing survey documents for compliance with state law and county code.
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate and find solutions to various problems and issues.
· Customer service skills and the ability to develop effective working relationships with coworkers, contractors, other agency staff, and the public.
· Time management and organizational skills.
· Strong written communication skills.
· Ability to read, review, and interpret plans and survey records.
Evidence of valid driver’s license, insurance, and certified copy of current driving record (CCDR) are required at time of hire.
For complete job announcement, application requirements, and to apply on-line, please visit our website at:
Salary Grade: Local 17 Engineers.207 $28.57 – $36.49- per hour