Transportation Planner III – Community PlanningFull Time
This is a senior-level professional position that is responsible for leading transportation projects and programs of the county’s planning work program, Planner III’s are assigned to the most challenging projects and assignments, measured by a combination of the project’s complexity, scope, impact on the community or other relevant considerations. The position exercises the highest levels of independent judgment, communication, project management and inter-agency relationship skills. The incumbent operates flawlessly in a team-based work environment and employs exemplary interpersonal communication skills. These work methods are necessary to oversee transportation programs and projects given a wide variety of technical, financial, partner relationships with the Regional Transportation Commission, Washington State Department of Transportation, local jurisdictions and other internal and external agencies. The position makes and implements work assignments with limited direction and guidance.
This position does have the option of working a remote hybrid schedule, however, the candidate selected MUST reside within Washington or Oregon. No exceptions.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from a four-year college or university with major course work in planning, architecture or a related field; AND two (2) years experience in a planning position comparable to a Planner II; or a Master’s Degree in urban planning (or other discipline appropriate to the assignment) AND one (1) year experience in planning in a position comparable to a Planner II; or substituting, on a month-for-month basis, experience related to the duties of the position for the required education.
Desired skills/ training:
· Knowledge and skill in the use of computers for word processing and desktop publishing, creation of spreadsheets and computer-generated business graphics. Familiarity with interpreting or applying statistical data and results.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
· Basic proficiency or knowledge of: Database, GIS, and Traffic Modeling software and methods.
· Experience with hosting remote meetings using virtual communication platforms (Webex, Zoom, Teams, etc.)
· Possession of a valid state Driver’s License
· AICP, CTP, or other professional certification is beneficial, but not required.
· Work environment and Physical Demands:
This is a technical position performed in an office environment with some field work. To perform the essential tasks, incumbents must be able to: see, read, communicate in person and over the phone, in writing and perform basic keyboard functions; and driving for field work requirements.
For complete job announcement, application requirements, and to apply on-line, please visit our website at:
Salary Grade: Local 307.117 $37.94 – $46.16- per hour