County SurveyorFull Time
Direct and supervise the surveying, mapping, and right-of-way countywide. Responsible for the professional land surveying of the county relating to construction projects, parcel mapping and surveys of county owned lands. Duties are performed in accordance with state regulations, standardized design criteria, plans, specifications and procedures and local governing policies and procedures. Acquire properties for projects according to state and federal regulations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Direct and coordinate all surveying activities and employees within the Transportation Department relating to: road and bridge construction projects; mapping for Geographic Information Systems (GIS); acquisition of property rights from private landowners; global positioning system (GPS) technology; and traffic corridors and flood studies.
- Provide performance reviews and oversite of subordinate employees.
- Develop and provide technical direction of all design and project scheduling related to surveying, and mapping, and property acquisition.
- Schedule and monitor progress of work by individual staff.
- Direct the survey department under statutory requirements in the RCW’s.
- Manage, balance, and oversee county survey budget.
- Obtain required multiple funding for various surveying projects, i.e. grants, loans, interagency agreements.
- Manage and oversee project contracts relating to survey department Contact between county and consultants and contractors for projects.
- Analyze past and present projects for improvements.
- Manage and plan capital equipment purchases within the division and must stay within adopted budgetary levels.
- Meet and present presentations for the public on current and proposed projects.
- Correspond with local, state and federal agencies.
- Attend and may represent the Department at night meetings for technical advice and counsel.
- Review agency documents, prepare and present comments on behalf of the county.
- Ability to perform complex survey computations manually and with computers with equal accuracy.
- Ability to write, print and draw legibly and accurately.
- Maintain records and prepare special and on-going reports.
- Review plans, specifications and estimates for projects.
- Prepare estimated costs for projects and develop interagency agreements when needed.
- Flexibility to work odd hours, i.e. nights, weekends, holidays.
- Perform other duties as directed or required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Operate a personal computer and software necessary to perform the requirements of the position including: Auto CAD, surveying principles governing the General Land Office (GLO), Global Positioning Systems, Geographic Networks, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), road right-of-way, construction, and topographic delineation
- Advanced skills in survey principles, practices and applicable trends.
- Advance knowledge of mapping fields.
- Advanced understanding of federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations as they relate to surveying.
- Experience with supervising, training and coaching of employees.
- Effective communication both verbal and written.
- Meet deadlines while maintaining flexibility necessary to accommodate any given situation.
- Effectively deal with people who may be emotionally charged by issues and information being presented and provide problem solving techniques.
- Maintain composure under stressful situations and provide problem-solving techniques.
- Follow verbal and written instructions and keep accurate records.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and good public relations with other employees, agencies, property owners, and the general public.
- Advanced ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Be self-motivated and an independent thinker.
- Be flexible to the needs of the Department and citizens within the county.
- Physically perform the essential functions of this position.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position has supervisory authority in accordance with the personnel policy.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORKING CONDITIONS
- Work is performed in an office and field setting with extended periods of sitting, standing, bending, kneeling, walking, and lifting (up to 40 pounds waist high).
- Driving, climbing stairs, and walking outdoors on uneven terrain in a variety of weather conditions.
- May work an alternative schedule at the sole discretion of the County.
- Potential for working evenings, occasional weekends, holidays, overtime, and out of town travel.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER RECRUITING REQUIREMENTS
- A valid Washington State Professional Land Surveyor license.
- Minimum of four (4) years of responsible surveying experience and a minimum of two (2) years supervisory experience.
- The County may, at its discretion, consider combinations of education, experience, certifications and training in lieu of specifically required qualifications contained herein.
- Background in boundary, retracement of GLO, state plane coordinates, GPS, GIS, photogrammetry, and mapping is preferred.
- A valid Washington State Driver’s License is required.
- A background security check may be required if a job offer is made.
CLOSING STATEMENT: This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
100% Employee Medical Coverage – Four (4) medical plan options. 100% Employee Dental Coverage with Delta Dental. Washington State Department of Retirement System – PERS / PSERS Eligible position (Employer / Employee contribution). 2.5% Deferred Compensation. VEBA – Health Savings Plan starting $125 per month county contribution. Life and Accidental Death Insurance – Mutual of Omaha . Flexible Spending Plan: Pre-tax insurance premiums / Health Care Account / Dependent Care. Available AFLAC Plans. Employee Assistance Plan. 10 Holidays, 1 Floating Holiday. 8 hours Sick Leave accrual per month. 8 Hours to start, then up to 15 hours of annual leave accrual per month. Longevity after 5 years $35.50/month, progresses up to 30 years $377.50/month. VSP Vision plan available. Bilingual Pay.
2024 COLA 3.5%