Juvenile Detention OfficerFull Time New
DEPARTMENT OF COURT SERVICES
Position: Juvenile Detention Officer
Salary Range: $3,794 – $5,086 per month Starting salary: DOE, DOQ
Location: Department of Court Services
Employment Type: Full-time (40 hrs./wk.); Courthouse Union – Open until filled
Full time benefits include:
• County pays $1,450 per month towards medical, dental, vision, life insurance and employee assistance program for employee and eligible family members.
• Retirement: Walla Walla County full time employees are eligible for Washington State Department of Retirement Services (DRS)
• HRA Veba account: Employer contribution may apply.
• Wellness program
• Deferred compensation plans offered • Twelve paid holidays annually • Vacation accrual based on seniority
• Benefited employees shall accrue sick leave benefits at the percentage rate of hours worked per week, to a maximum of eight (8) hours earned per month based on a forty (40) hour workweek but not less than one (1) hour per every forty (40) hours worked per County Policy 30.05.0
Visit Walla Walla County Website for detailed benefits information.
Brief Duties and Responsibilities: Works as a team member attending to the physical and emotional needs of youth detained at the Juvenile Justice Center. Juvenile Detention Officers implement the Center’s Behavior Management Program (Status Level System) and provide other therapeutic treatment, as directed. Juvenile Detention Officers maintain a clean, safe, and secure environment within the facility and promote personal responsibility, accountability, self-discipline, and pro-social behavior through modeling behavior. See the job description for the complete list of essential functions.
Working Conditions: Working environment includes activities both indoors and outdoors. Physical abilities are those typically associated with an office environment and participation in detention facility operations requiring bending, reaching, lifting of up to fifty (50) pounds, pulling, pushing, and standing and sitting for extended periods.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree is preferred from an accredited college or university. An Associate of Arts degree and two (2) years of successful experience in juvenile or adult corrections or a related social science field, or a combination of skills, knowledge, and education is at management’s discretion. Possess/maintain a valid driver’s license, valid food handler’s card, and valid first aid/CPR card and pass the Physical Aptitude Test.
Requirements: Pass a comprehensive, in-depth background investigation, including psychological and polygraph examinations. Must also successfully pass a driving record check. Must pass Physical Aptitude Test and successfully complete the WA State Criminal Justice Training Center’s Juvenile Security Workers Academy within six (6) months of hire.
Application: Visit the County website at www.co.walla-walla.wa.us to download a copy of the job description, application, and to apply online.
SELECTION IS BASED ON QUALIFICATIONS, PAT, BACKGROUND CHECK, DRIVING RECORD CHECK, AND ORAL INTERVIEW
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY / AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER / ADA COMPLIANT